Thursday, June 6, 2013

Day 62: Escanzu, Costa Rica

If yesterday was the epitome of endless sight-seeing, today was the yin to the yang.

After a wonderful, yet long, first day in Costa Rica, we awoke this morning feeling a bit sub par. Much of it, I'm sure, is simply due to the amazing, yet weakening, effect of constant travel. Not that we are complaining! Unfortunately, Chris took the brunt of it as her slight allergy to water (truth) didn't appreciate yesterday's long visit to the hot springs.

So, we toured the surrounding area, enjoying fresh juice and chatting it up with the helpful local pharmacists. Then, drugs in tow, we made our way back to the hotel for a dip in the pool. Now, yesterday's pools were hot, but doable. This icebox was impossible. It wasn't even deep enough to buck up and cannonball into. No, sir. So we sat. And read. And enjoyed the sun (perhaps a little too much for me, giving my Eastern European skin more credit than it was due).

Thankfully, we were able to enjoy the outdoors before the "rainy season" showed its true colors. We're going on eight hours straight now. All the more reason to cozy up with a good book.

If I have rediscovered one thing on this trip, it is my love of reading. I always knew I loved traveling, so that doesn't count. However, I never feel like I have time to read at home, or there's always something more active to do. Yet here, traveling, there is nothing better than getting lost in a good thriller. It's a beautiful way to rebalance the yin with the yang.

That's right, I brought it back for the closure. There's more to yin and yang than the jewelry (or pogs - heyo!) we rocked out in the early 90's.




No comments:

Post a Comment